Disability Accommodation: FAQ & A

Disability accommodation is there to provide an arrangement to make life more comfortable for those who need this service. 

What is “public disability accommodation”?

This policy gives assistance to a person with a disability to have equal opportunity to access and participate in the Division of Workers’ Compensation (DWC) programs and to use all DWC services. Disability Accommodations can be provided to individuals who use DWC services and programs, which include such services as the ones provided by the district of Workers’ Compensation Appeals Board, the Disability Evaluation Unit, and the Information and Assistance Unit.

What kind of assistance will DWC provide?

DWC will consider all requests for accommodation, but will only provide accommodation that it sees fit. DWC has the right to determine what is “reasonable” accommodation and what kind of accommodation can be provided to the individual. These are some of the reasonable accommodations that DWC can provide:

  • Ergonomic chairs
  • Magnifiers
  • Assistive listening devices
  • A reader for the visually impaired
  • Voice amplification system
  • Sign-language interpreters
  • Computerized translation services
  • Enlargement of documents for the visually-impaired
  • Audio tape recordings

How does one request an accommodation?

  • Make a request in person or over the phone to the district office disability accommodation coordinator.
  • Fill out the form titled, “Request for Accommodations by Persons with Disabilities,” DWC form 5. After the form is filled out, mail or fax the completed form to the district office disability accommodation coordinator where the workers’ compensation case is filed.
  • If one is unable to get a hold of the local district office, one can give the request to the DWC disability accommodation coordinator.

What accommodations are required?

Every request must have the disability or impairment for which an accommodation is needed, what accommodation is being requested, and the date and time of said accommodation. A separate request must be made for every accommodation that is needed, if indeed more than one accommodation is needed.

How does one get the accommodation?

If the accommodation request is granted, the disability coordinator will inform the party involved when they will receive their accommodation.

What if the accommodation must be canceled or rescheduled?

If the accommodation is no longer needed or it needs to be rescheduled, one must contact the disability coordinator as soon as possible in order to make the necessary arrangements.

Contact PMC Insurance Group for the support you need to get your home healthcare clients the coverage they deserve to best serve their customers during the winter. We’re dedicated to serving the home health industry and have a number of workers’ compensation insurance solutions we can offer you. Call us today!

By PMC Insurance Group

Since 1996, PMC Insurance Group has worked to help independent agents grow their client base by offering workers' compensation solutions for a wide array of businesses. As one of the most distinguished workers' compensation wholesalers in the country, we have the tools and resources to help you create coverage programs for both small businesses and large accounts.